
Eve's first day of school! :)

Eve started school in September 2010. Her school day starts at 9.20am and ends at 2pm which is a long day for a then 4, now 5 year old.
Eve started school in September 2010. Her school day starts at 9.20am and ends at 2pm which is a long day for a then 4, now 5 year old.
I had contemplated home schooling but in the end decided that school would be the best option for Eve, given that she had no social interaction with other kids up till then. Before starting school Eve never spoke to any other kids in the hospital, or had any friends that would come over and play. She was always surrounded by adults since she was a baby and felt more comfortable socialising and chatting with them than with other kids.
She has really come out of her shell since starting school and enjoys it so much so I know I've made the right decision in that sense. BUT, then there is the issue of school making her sick! Eve has been significantly sicker since starting school. She goes in, picks up a cold, which then turns into an infection, and ends up missing at least a week or 2 while she is getting better. BUT (again!) since starting Zithromax 8 weeks ago she has done so much better at school and hasnt been picking up those colds that she had been getting before. So hopefully she will continue like this.
One bad thing about school is trying to fit all of Eve's treatments and physio in during the day! She gets up so late in the mornings and has to be out the door by 9am so treatments in the morning is a no go!
She gets home from school at 2pm, does her afternoon treatments (vest-30mins and pulmozyme) and then gets her lunch. Then at about 5pm she does some more treatments (usually acapella/bubble PEP). Then right before bed at 7pm she does her night time treatments (vest-30mins/percussor, and ventolin+hypertonic).
Treatments on school days are hard enough when Eve is healthy, but when she is sick she has to add an extra 30min vest treatment and an extra ventolin and hypertonic. Eve barely gets a minute in the day to do what she wants and play with her toys. It's not fair on her but theres not much I can do about it! :(
So in ways school is a great thing for Eve, but in other ways it's bad. We'll just have to take things day by day....
When I went to school I was alway sick, of 10 months of "normal school" I usually did 3 months going to school, 5 months "school at the hospital" and 2 months home-schooling with my hospital teachers.... It was really tough and my classmates were always happy to see me coming back to school.... When I started going to university I tryied to attend the lessons, made it for one month and a half. Since then I had an admittion every month and when I tryied to go back to uni just would catch another stuff. So it was a hard decision, but i stopped attending classes at the university and now I just study on my own and go there just to do exams... It's not nice. I dont get to see my friends everyday and when they talk about the professors i just dont get things since i never met them. But since i quit atttending classes i'm having exacerbations every 2 months (3when i'm lucky), way better than before, so I think it was the right decision to me... Hope you're cutie feels better soon claire and that you both enjoy life in spain.
ReplyDeleteCate XD